Driven by aggressive government legislation and financial incentives for medical practices to implement standardized electronic health records (EHRs) and data policies, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 11% growth in health IT employment through 2028, over twice the 5% national average growth rate for all occupations.
The most important thing to look for in a health information management degree is CAHIIM-accreditation. CAHIIM - the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education - guarantees that an accredited program delivers the necessary skills, education, and job marketability to succeed in health IT. Furthermore, graduates of CAHIIM-accredited programs qualify for the sought-after health information management credentials from AHIMA, including the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) and Registered Health Information Management Administrator (RHIA) certificates.
Featured CAHIIM-accredited health information management programs:
CAHIIM-Accredited Bachelors Programs
CAHIIM-accredited bachelor degrees in health information management, health IT, and health informatics surpass the minimum education requirements for entry-level healthcare IT jobs. Health information technology bachelor's typically include coursework and labs in healthcare administration, healthcare finance, and leadership principles that align with the requirements of HIM roles. A CAHIIM-accredited bachelors degree is also the minimum eligibility requirement to sit for AHIMA's Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification exam.
Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
This CAHIIM-accredited online program combines key health IT concepts with computer science, data analytics, business and project management to help graduates become valuable assets in the field of health information management.
- Includes Certification Preparation for:
- Registered Health Information Management Administrator (RHIA)
- Apply health information best practices to manage clinical classifications and reimbursements
- Analyze health statistics and biomedical research data to improve organizational performance
- Apply medical laws and ethics to decision-making in healthcare delivery and systems
- Manage computer software and hardware to ensure effective data collection and analysis
- Use proven leadership principles and project management tools to meet organizational goals
Learning Method:Online Degree
Financial Aid:Federal, State, Military & Scholarships
CAHIIM-Accredited Masters Programs
Graduates from one of the few existing CAHIIM-accredited masters programs in health IT and health informatics are the future executives and innovators in this field. Talented HIM graduate-level degree holders can experience the excitement and rewards of being a thought-leader in the fast-growing field of health information management.
Master of Science in Health Informatics
This CAHIIM-accredited online masters program delivers the skills and credentials to become a health informatics professional. Students will learn how to manage and interpret health information using cutting-edge computing and data analytics tools. Complete the program in as little as 28 months.
- Computational Tools in Health Informatics
- Advanced Statistics in Health Services Research
- In-Depth Analyses of Electronic Health Records & Decision Support Systems
- Health Information Database Design, Data Mining and Data Warehousing
- Real-World Practicum in a Professional Health Systems Management Role
Learning Method:Online Degree
Financial Aid Available:Federal, State, Military & Scholarships
Find Health IT Schools
Health Information Manager Resources
- Deep dive into the health information technician career path
- Browse and apply to fresh health information technician jobs
- Compare salaries of health information technicians & related positions
- Research health information technician formal education requirements
- Blog: Best Computer Jobs for the Future (#7 Health Information Tech)